Thursday 22 September 2011

There were lots of green and red tomatoes sitting in the greenhouse....



Tomato Soup (simple version) Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook:
200g onions, chopped
50g unsalted butter
900g tomatoes
5 tablespoons of dry sherry (I used a little less Port instead)
1 tblsp sugar if required (toms not ripe enough)
Torn basil to serve
Veg stock if needs thinning ( mine did a little - maybe 150ml)

Sweat the onions slowly (I always like to sweat onions for a good 10 minutes to make them nice and sweet)
Add everything excpet the cream and cook for about 10 mins
Whizz in a blender (I always use handheld whizzer) Push through a sieve (I didn't bother!)
Thin if necessary with stock and a dribble of cream and more basil. Yum Scrum.

Green tomato Chutney (Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook) :
7cm piece of root ginger
2-3 red chillis, halved
900g cooking apples, peeled, cored & chopped
450g shallots
1.75 litres white wine vinegar
450g demerara sugar
juice of 2 lemons
25g mustard seeds
50g salt

Bruise the ginger and tie it in a muslin with the chilllis
Put all the ingredients into a big pan preserving pan.
Tie muslin bag to the handle and let it dangle and release all the flavours
Start over a low heat to dissolve the sugar then boil for 2 hours until consistency is rich and thick.  I never felt that mine got that rich and thick 1. because I think there is slightly too much liquid, and 2. because I forgot to put the apples in, remembered after about 45 minutes then overdid the rest of the mixture so the tomatoes went a little too mushy. 
Put chutney into warm sterilised jars and cross your fingers for a month!!

I now have 15 jars of the stuff in my garage!

No comments:

Post a Comment