Friday 9 September 2011

Courgette and Runner Bean Chutney

I am always, honestly, quite happy when autumn arrives.  I love seasons and the changes that they bring.  The allotment and our garden have given me so much joy and fulfilment this year but it will be nice to have a rest from weeding and watering for a few months. 

Autumn is about warmth and cosiness.  It is slow cooked stews, beautiful leaves, snuggling under a blanket, thick jumpers, red wine, conkers, and evening cooking stints with the radio playing old jazz.  I just love that. 

My first autumnal cooking stint this week involved dusting off my preserving pan as promised.  I need to wait a month for it to 'mellow' but I have high hopes:-)

As I still have gazillions of runner beans the first attempt is Runner Bean and Courgette chutney:

"With its mixture of sweet and tangy flavours, this chutney is perfect saved with oily fish, but it is also delicious served with bread and cheese or a salad"

600g runner beans, thinly sliced
4 courgettes, thinly sliced
350g cooking apples, peeled, cored chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
450g light brown soft sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander seeds
600ml cider vinegar

Put everything in a pan and stir, disolve sugar over a gently heat, bring to boil for about 10 mins. Reduce to simmer for 1 hr 30mins ( I did more like 2 hours to get the sauce thick). Ladle into warm sterilised jars. Cover each pot with waxed paper disc, seal and label. Allow to mature for in dark cool place for 1 month and fridge after opening.

Note to self: Buy some snazzy jar covers.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment