Wednesday 10 August 2011

It takes a long time to grow an old friend

We have been friends, best friends, for about 26 years. Oh my god I feel old. Oh my god I am lucky. 

Some of my best childhood memories are our times together; camping out, midnight feasts, making up and acting out plays, spending hours learning the words to pop songs in her bedroom.  Other friends came and went but there was always something between us that was somehow unbreakable. I remember at school being inspired by the way she wrote poetry, how strongly she could love, and her relaxed approach to life.  As well as how fast she could run.  I can remember now one school sports day, probably about aged 12, doing a cross country run, she should have won by a mile but instead ran the whole way with me so that we would cross the line together, that's the type of person she is.

Then all the ups and downs of teenage years. We did it all together. The loves, heartbreaks, tears,  joys, ridiculously crazy drunken days, nights and sunshine holidays.  We had hours and hours of laughter, laughing so hard we could only cry and would forget why we were laughing in the first place. We just had that effect on each other.  And as she had her first child nearly 10 years ago I remember hoping when it be my turn that I could have half the love and patience that she had.  We are so different but so similar in our hearts.  Perhaps that's why we work.

She is pure, selfless, modest and incredibly talented.  And she is there for me. Even when I don't answer the phone because some days I just can't talk about what I'm going through.  She never gives up. She always calls again, and again.  A blessing to be counted.  I know we will grow old together and I can't wait to watch our children who are now playing together.  I hope they are as lucky as me.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment