Tuesday 5 April 2011

My mum in law

A year ago my mum-in-law had just been diagnosed with breast cancer for the third time.  She battled again last year, at times the fight was almost too much to bear but, thank god, once again she won. Patty has been my rock in many of my own battles and never more so than now. Watching her fight and learning the power of a positive mind has given me such inspiration. Yes, we can infuriate each other, but thank God I have her. I wrote this 1 year ago this week:

For Patty

You are my mother in law and one of a kind
Just like your wonderful son, you're an amazing find

The love in your heart overflows to all near
But the demon in your breast gives you such fear

To be in your breast, it just seems so wrong,
That place that snuggled your gorgeous sons

Life's not fair, this shouldn't happen to you
To someone I so admire, for all that you do

You're a mother, my friend, my mentor and inspiration
Why this is happening bears no comprehension

But be assured, I promise you it's true
This cancer won't get the better of you

The spirit of your love and affection which knows no bound
Is in a place that for the cancer, can't be found.

It will be hard to say goodbye to your precious breast
But with courage, you WILL shoo off, your unwelcome guest

We will try to help you every step of the way
And never be ashamed when you have a god awful day

If all day long you feel sad and ratty
Please promise me you'll tell us Patty

Tears will be shed and pain will be felt
But that smile will return and make us all melt

The warmth of us together and a great big cuddle
Will sometimes help life seem less of a muddle

So we'll be there for you Twenty Four Seven
The angels won't take you yet to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment