Tuesday 30 October 2012

Ruby's eating!

Looking back, and without wanting to sound too smug, I took to motherhood pretty easily. I was a very relaxed, confident, calm and happy first time mum.  Until George hit 6 months and I had to start weaning him. 

My twin sister was the cook and I was always very good and unwrapping some chicken kievs from their Tesco's Finest wrapper and placing them in the oven at the correct temperature or even following the odd recipe step by step from a book, which would take forever as I literally would read each line ten times before doing as I was told then would recheck that line another ten times.

I, and I think my at the time childless twin sister, will never forget my first week of weaning George. I was desperately and slightly manicly trying to make him a basic cheese sauce from expressed breast milk.  Somehow I messed it up and I cried. A lot. I thought, how am I ever going to feed my baby proper food?!

I know for many people, children are their inspiration for many things and not least cooking. This was certainly the case for me. 

At just over 5 months Ruby seems a little young for my baby led weaning approach. She may seem young to me but nonetheless she is very keen and over that last couple of nights has delighted in her first tastes of brocolli, sweet potato, carrot, parsnip and potato.  I think I am going to have a very happy eater on my hands and once again I am feeling inspired to get cooking.  Watching a baby delight in her first ever tastes of different foods, particularly when it is entirely baby led and such a voyage of discovery for them is something very special indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment