Monday 5 November 2012

Curried & Baked Butternut Squash & Pancetta Risotto

Last week I bought a lovely butternut squash at the market. What could be more lovely and autumnal. Then I remembered that last autumn I could not get George to eat butternut squash. Along with a few other veggies it had moved unsurreptitiously into the 'that's a bit yucky mummy' camp.  When this happens, I tend to keep offering the foods until eventually they are once again picked up without fuss.

As we know, I am starting to wean Ruby & what better baby led weaning food than a stick of lovely sweet lightly roasted butternut squash.  I noticed last week that carrott, one of the only foods that, since forever, has stayed on the yucky step, was all of a sudden requested on George's plate. Yes, he only had a little and yes I expect it was entirely to do with his little sister's lustful licks and munches but it was major progress.

I'll get to the point. My challenge. Moving delicious in season butternut squash back to the yummy step.

I based my recipe on Jamie Oliver's Roasted Squash, Sage, chestnut and pancetta risotto and made a few changes to better suit my time and George's tastes.  George likes sweet curry type spices but not too much heat - the chilli is out, some cumin is in.  When at all possible I like to have dinner done and dusted, or at least prepped, in the afternoon when George is at pre school so that when he gets back I can concentrate on him and Ruby.  Risotto is at its creamy and plump best when served immediately so some things do have to be sacrificed, but I was pretty pleased with today's concoction, I just added a little more water for the final bake/heat through to stop it drying out too much. I baked the squash smothered in olive oil, ground cumin, coriander and a little mild curry powder this morning, leaving a wedge of squash to be baked alone for Ruby later.  Made the basic risotto in the 45 mins after dropping George at pre school and taking Ruby out to a mums and baby group then baked the whole lot together for 20 minutes at tea time.  I tend to give things like that a little bit of time under the grill just to pander to George's 'crunch' desires.

Wedges smothered in olive oil and about a tbsp of ground cumin & ground coriander and baked for 30 mins

Cover with pancetta slices and a bit of sage and bake for another 15 mins

Pull skin off squash and briefly mash and tear up pancetta and combine

Make basic white risotto (soften 1 onion, 2 sticks of celery, 2 crushed garlic bulbs for 15 mins with a knob of butter and olive oil in a large frying pan, add 400g arborio rice and coat in softened veggies, add a large glass of dry white wine and evaporate alcohol then add a ladle full at a time of 2 pints of veg stock until rice is plump and creamy). I then combined risotto and squash/pancetta mix, added 1 tsp of mild curry powder and some parmesan and left until tea time. This was then baked for 20 mins and grilled for 5 mins. I also added some parmesan at this point.


The Delicious result!

Simple roasted wedges for Rubes

Clean plate from George - Result!

No comments:

Post a Comment